As you've probably guessed from this blog title I'm in a Harry Potter mood and for great reason(s) which you will find out once you read on. So picking up from Monday's blog...
First off, I apologize for not following up with pictures of Birkbeck but please find them at the end of this post.
Monday: After blogging I headed up to the library to work on school work with Marisa. I got some of presentation together before we decided to head home. All the City kids, studying at City University London, arrived by the time we got home. Their program runs til only a week after ours so it's even shorter. The new arrivals totaled to almost 15 kids and while it was nice having everyone finally in the house, the original 9 of us had to say goodbye to having the house to ourselves. Everyone is really nice and after getting to know everyone and eating dinner we all went out as a house for a drink in Notting Hill. I returned home early to finish my project that I was presenting in class on Tuesday with Kali. We got done quickly and felt really prepared. I headed to bed to ensure a good night's rest.
Tuesday: I got up early and headed to campus everyone that had a 10-1 pm class. I spent that time using Birkbeck's free wi-fi to check my e-mail, surf the Internet and not having to worry about using it up, and read ahead for my class. I had lunch with Marisa and Kali before class. The presentation that Kali and I presented went really well and our professor said we did a great job. During our ten minute break (that turned in a half hour) our professor showed us where to get the best lunch on campus at the College of Tropical Medicine across the street and told us how we can get great coffee at RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Art) that is also across the street from Birkbeck's campus...I didn't realize we were that CLOSE to RADA. It's really neat. Our professor also asked us how we were all enjoying our time in London. I told him about my day trip to Horsham which he thought sounded "lovely."
After class I met up with a friend for a dinner before grabbing dinner, fish and chips, with Marisa. It wasn't the best we've ever had but it satisfied our craving and we went home happy. Once we got home I was able to skype my Dad and Eddie and that was really nice! I was also able to skype Liz and I'm glad she's enjoying Rome :). After the skype calls I was not feeling well so I decided to head to bed early.
Wednesday: Marisa, Beth, and I headed to our theater class ready to learn more about the theater. We learned a great deal of Naturalism movement in British theater history and we discussed "A Doll's House." Our professor also gave us all the dates for the shows we will see this semester and we are very excited! We don't have class next week so we hope to see "Matilda the Musical." After class we lunch and I discovered something truly magical (this is where the Harry Potter blog title will come to make sense). For kicks I decided to look on the Harry Potter Studio tour website again for single tours/cancellations. J.K. Rowling could not have written it better herself....I found one tour time left on Thursday April 4th at 11:30 AM. My finals end April 3rd. So...clearly....I'M GOING TO THE HARRY POTTER FILM STUDIOS!!!!! I am BEYOND thrilled. I know it will prove to be a great ending to my London experience and I know you are all very jealous.
After I shared this exciting news with Marisa and Beth we decided to go to the British Museum since it's so close to school! Inside we saw the Rosetta Stone and went through the Egyptian, Greece, and Rome rooms. We also toured through the rooms of early Europe and Britain. We plan to go back to see the rest of the Museum. Before we went into the old European rooms we noticed they had a nice restaurant that served afternoon tea so we decided to try it. Let me just say it's one of the best decisions we've made yet. We each got our own pot of tea and split their special "Teddy Bear" tea time sampler that included finger sandwiches with salmon on the side, biscuits and scones with jams, pastries, and creams. We felt so English, taking part in a proper afternoon tea. We hope to made it a Wednesday tradition. After tea we headed home I did some homework for my classes Thursday. Wednesday night we all decided to check out the Notting Hill Arts Club - which is right around the corner from our house. We heard it was a hipster type place but we went knowing we probably didn't look hipster. It turned out to be a lot fun. There was a band there called the "The Arcadia Kicks" (an all girl group power house) who were reallly good. We all liked their songs. When they get big we'll be able to say we knew them way back when....A few of us headed home early and went to bed because we of our two classes Thursday schedule.
Thursday: My Thursday morning class allowed me to partake in my first experience of having London be our classroom. The class headed to Farrington Tube stop and began our tour. We essentially made a loop around London as she right before and during the time of King Henry VII's time and the time of the Protestant Reformation. We went through the area called ClerkenwellSmithfield which has been featured as the set in several big films. More to the historic end it was founded as an Augustinian priory in 1123. Today it is a place of worship as an Anglican/Episcopal Church. Our tour ended next to Saint Paul's Cathedral (the master piece of architecture of Christopher Wren). We could not help but be distracted from our professor's lecture by the Occupy London movement that was camped out outside the Cathedral (on Tuesday it was ruled in court that it is illegal for them to stay there and they must move...we shall see what happens). Still, learning about the history of Saint Paul's was very interesting and I hope to go in there before I leave (I hear from the top it is one of the best views of London). From Saint Paul's we headed on the Tube back to school and met up with everyone at the market for lunch. I got the chicken sandwich I had been craving since last week and I was not disappointed! It was fabulous.
After lunch we all headed to our British Society since 1945 class. We learned about the ideas of power and the state and how they operate together in the UK. We watched a part of a film documentary by Andrew Marr that chronicles what happened in London since the end of WWII. The documentary realize the true effects that resulted (and how they were felt) in London as a result of the end of their empire and what a scary and uncertain time it was. Our professor let us out of class an hour early. Positive note: It was decided during this class that our last class will now be on March 27th as Beth, Marisa, and I have a mandatory theater performance to attend the night of March 26th now. While I will take the theater over class we were surprised that the events for the classes weren't communicated to each of the professors so a mix up like that wouldn't happen. Oh well...
We were all excited to come home and eat and get ready for the weekend. Last night was the first real night out with (almost) everyone from the house. We all went a place called "The Stables" (converted horse stable that now serves as a club - pretty cool). It was great being out with everyone but we did branch out into different groups. For most of the night I was with Marisa, Phil, Kyle, and Jake. While it was fun I had never seen so many people in one venue. It proved to be too much to deal with so the 5 of us decided to head home. As we were leaving, holding one another's hand, trying to get through the masses, my headband was knocked off. I watched it fall to the ground knowing there was no way I'd be able to get (for fear of either loosing the group or getting trampled) and never seeing it again. Though it was sad it wasn't too much of a loss (I had gotten it for free). I'll just have to replace it soon.
The night bus home proved to be an interesting and funny ride. We got home and all went right to sleep.
Friday: Today I slept in til 11 but got up determined to get to King's Cross and Platform 9 3/4. Marisa was the only brave soul that would venture out with me; everyone else was asleep. With slight impending embarrassment we got on the Circle line headed for King's Cross Station. We got there and found our way to Platform 9. Fearing we'd have to buy a ticket for a second we found signs that lead directly to Platform 9 3/4. And we FOUND IT :) When we got there no one else was there but as we started taking pictures more people started to show up. We were all slightly embarrassed, well everyone else was I wasn't. After taking some great photos we left King's Cross and decided to walk around a little bit. We stumbled upon the British Library and headed inside. We toured the Dickens' exhibit which was really cool considering I am currently learning about this great author and reading "Oliver Twist" in my London in Literature class. There is great celebration for Dickens this year as it is the year of his 200th Birthday. We stayed in the Library for a short while and looked at stamps before deciding we wanted to go to Mayfair and get Orange Tea at Allan's like we did last Friday. We made the journey to Mayfair and were not disappointed by the great Orange Tea that had been calling our name. It was delicious. Another afternoon tea headed and we headed home. We did some food shopping with the girls and Marisa made chicken fried rice for dinner - it was delicious. Everyone is headed somewhere tonight but I'm still a little tried and not feeling well so I decided to stay in. I want to head to Portobello Market tomorrow and I'm going on a day trip to Cambridge Sunday with Kali that is being run by IFSA-Butler.
London still proves to be amazing. We're hoping to plan our trips to Scotland and Prague tomorrow :) I'm so happy I get to live my own version of Harry's life with real-life magic (corny I know but it had to be said :))
And now for your enjoyment....pictures....
Birkbeck College :)
The Library at Birkbeck.
43 Gordon Square. The house/building where all four of my classes are located.
City, Birkbeck and ULC aka 21 Pembridge Gardens girls out on Tuesday night.
See ya never Muggle world! I'm off to Hogwarts!!!!! :))))
I hope we get into Ravenclaw (though I totally have my Gryffindor colors rockin')!
"Now all you have to do is walk straight at the wall between platforms 9 and 10. Best do it with a bit of a run if your nervous," - Mrs. Weasley. "Good luck," - Ginny.
Tea time at Allan's - again :)
CHEERS,
MK


No comments:
Post a Comment