I woke up this morning and realized the truest and most simple of facts: I return home to America in 7 days. I never thought I'd be this sad at the prospect of going home, of leaving a place that once seemed so scary and so foreign to me. But if London has taught me one thing it is that, though it is the opposite of the wonderful line in Sweet Home Alabama (which we all watched last line), 'you can have roots and wings'. You can travel the world, fall in love with different places, let life's experiences impact you in such a way that you are forever changed, but you will never forget where you came from. Home will always be home. And no matter how you might try and a fight it, a part of you will always be there, never wish to stop being called back home.
Okay, while that was a small moment of self reflection I do have 7 days left in London that I want to make the most of. I'm sure when I get home and have had time to truly reflect I will be able to better articulate everything I am thinking in my head right now. So for now let's enjoy the end of this ride together. Besides, there is still apart of me that is in denial.....so back to London Living.....
Thursday: Thursday lived up to be the great stressful day (with a lot of writing) that I knew it was going to be. I woke up in the early morning (7 am I think) to edit my paper for my London: Growth of a Modern World City class. The paper was due via online submission my Thursday evening at 11:59 pm. Knowing I would be be suffering from mental exhaustion after 4 pm Thursday I needed to submit my paper before I left for my final at 10. I was able to edit and submit my paper my 8:30 and study a little bit before heading to campus for my first final. From 10-12 pm I took my final for my London: Growth of a Modern World City class. The final was not hard or unreasonable...just a whole lot of writing. Naturally, Marisa and I were the last two to finish the final....what can we say...we're history majors.
Hand hurting but thankful to have one final done and my paper submitted I enjoyed a nice little break to eat lunch. After picking up some food at the market we headed to the square. Lunch consisted of a "picnic" in the square outside our classroom building. Side note: The weather in London has truly been not normal. Sunny and warm, very warm, almost everyday (particularly Thursdays). I could count on ONE hand the number of days it has actually rained. My one professor was telling a few of us that if Londoners seem to be extremely happy it's because they are in weather bliss. Londoners honestly do not know how to handle such nice, consistent weather, this early in the year. Though scientists must be screaming "we told ya so" about Global warming I'd like to think the full effects of global warming won't affect the earth until after I have left this earth (morbid but I refused to become over over over anxious about it). In conclusion, all of this warm weather, and virtually no rain, has caused London to officially be in a drought. Olympics in August and a drought......oh great......
Also, I forgot to mention in my last post, Marisa is responsible for my blog's makeover. Her and I are also now officially blog friends. Check out her blog: The College Cuisiner. She is one the most amazing cooks I know and puts a ton of great receipts on her blog and great ones to make on a budget! Check it out!
Marisa during our "picnic" at Birkbeck :)
After some refueling it was back to more studying before my final at 2. My final from 2-4 was for my British Society Since 1945. That final also proved to be not difficult but also resulted in my hand hurting and cramping because I wrote a lot. This time though, Marisa and I two of the last three people left in the final.
Two finals down, two finals to go.
Satisfied and proud of myself at getting through a very stressful and long day I went with Marisa to the library.....yep. Sadly, Marisa had to finish her paper so I surfed the Internet, facebook chatted my mother, printed some paperwork, and read. I was craving a salad so I bought one at waitrose and by the time I was finished Marisa had completed and submitted her paper and we were ready to head to the Birkbeck Farewell Reception.
Once again the reception involved drinking with our professors, though only two professors showed up. It was still a nice time talking with other students and partaking in free alcohol. Sadly my photo did not win the photo contest but it was still a nice time.
Overall, I greatly enjoyed the London Semester Program though I do wish I would have been able to take classes with British students. Oh well, there's always Grad School....hehehe :)
We came home from the farewell reception to find everyone had had an extremely stressful day so we thought it only appropriate to frequent Prince Albert again and congratulate ourselves for all our hard work.
After a nice time out with my London loves we all came home exhausted and went to bed.
Friday: I woke up Friday morning ready to spend a wonderful day in London. Laura and I had been planning to go on the Harry Potter walking tour for a week. Sadly Laura had to go to her school for class and such but my girl Rachel stepped in and took Laura's spot. Coffee in had I headed to Leicester Square for the start of the tour. Rachel had been MIA up til this point and then she called me and let me know she was running late. And in true London style was out of calling and texting credit and had to "top up" her phone and that was why she hadn't been able to get in touch with me. So it was decided she'd meet us in route.
The tour started in Leicester Square where the film premieres were held. Next we went to a street called Cecil Court...said to be the inspiration of Diagon Alley. After walking around more bits of London, like Trafalgar Square where the 7th movie world premier was, we headed for the Thames to get on a ferry. Rachel made it to the ferry literally just before they left dock. She got there with JUST enough time and our tour guide, Ukie, said he hadn't seen anyone "cut it that close. ever." After a lovely ride along the Thames (following the route of the beginning of the fifth film) we saw the Millennium Bridge and then we made our way to Borough Market where the Leaky Cauldron was located in the third film. We also saw where Bridget Jones lived in Bridget Jones' Diary. To think - going to Borough ALL this time and never knew.
Our last bit of the tour was hopping on the tube and heading to King's Cross where we were left at Platform 9 and 3/4. Perfect place to end the tour because Rach and I jumped on the Hogwarts Express. :)
Ukie, our trusted Tour Guide
Inspiration for Diagon Alley
Harry Potter Money
Rachel and I on the Thames :)
After the tour Rachel and I went to a much needed lunch at O'Neill's. "We took a nice scenic bus ride back to Pembridge" -Rachel Warner (she's helping me comply this blog post). Once back in Notting Hill Laura met with Rachel and I at Paul Rhodes for tea. Then we came back to 21 Pembridge where we were excited to experience a BBQ! Laying on blankets, having a few drinks, and eating some of our own food, we watched the boys fail at lighting the grill. Sadly, the BBQ proved not to be the success of a true BBQ but it was still a lot of fun.
Boys failing at starting a fire
lalala BBQ :)
After the BBQ Rachel and I slept for two hours. I woke up craving gelato so Rachel, Marisa, Julie, Laura, and I went to our favorite gelato spot in Notting Hill near Portobello. We came home and chilled with everyone in the common room and watched Sweet Home Alabama. Right as the film was over we got a call from Rachael and Christina (my sorority sisters visiting London this weekend). The girls came and hung out at Pembridge with us and we ate my birthday cake and cupcakes still in the fridge. Still so good. The girls headed back to their hostel and we all hung out in the boys room. Rachel braided all of our hair - even Kyle's haha. Then we all went to bed. Rachel slept over and is now honorary room mate of 21 Pembridge Gardens.
Saturday: Today we have spent the morning at Starbucks. We plan to go to Portobello and then the Chocolate Festival. America in 7 Days. I can't believe it.
CHEERS,
MK


No comments:
Post a Comment