Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

"It's not the long walk home that will change this heart, but the welcome I receive with the restart"

'Ello everyone!

Greetings on last time from London (more specifically from the Starbucks in Notting Hill).  It has only started to hit me in the last few minutes that I am heading back to the USA tonight.  I literally don't know what to think.  I am so surprise excited but also sad.  I also feel at a loss for words so rather than "talk" (type) about what I'm feeling I'll just recap the last days in London.

I will be sure to do a reflection blog in the coming weeks....only then, maybe, will I have the right words (or words in general).

Tuesday:  Tuesday morning Laura, Rachel, and I went bike riding in Hyde Park :)  It was something I had wanted to do since I got to London so  I was happy I finally was able to.  Once we figured out how to pay for the bikes and unlock them we were off.  Of course, I didn't make it that long or that far so after about a half hour-45 mins we decided to put the bikes away.  Laura headed to the National Geographic store while Rachel and I headed back to Notting Hill for lunch.

Bike riding in Hyde Park :)


After lunch Rachel and I headed to Pineapple Dance Studio where Rachel takes classes regularly every week (she's legit).  I went with her to take a "all levels" jazz class.  It seemed like a fun idea.  While it was fun and I had a great time (cept for that time I twisted my ankle) my body did NOT like me afterwards (I'm still in pain).  But I still learned a really cool, really intense piece.  And I felt like a true dancer in dancer's shape ha.
I left the class at 1 and headed to Starbucks for a drink before heading to my London in Literature class for my final.  The final went smoothly and I felt confident about it.  London in Literature was my favorite class here in London.  I learned a great deal and had a great professor (Jeremy Worman).  I hope Kali and I are able to keep track of his writing career and when he's super famous we'll be able to say we knew him way back when.
Tuesday night I had a small dinner and relaxed around the house (wound up falling asleep while Kali, Alisha - Kali's sister who was visiting, and Laura played MadGab next to my bed). I studied for the my theater final and went to bed early.

Wednesday: Wednesday morning I woke up even more sore then I had Monday morning (but for a completely different reason).  I slowly made my way to my theater final.  (Beth and I actually got coffee and sat in starbucks studying for a little while first).  My theater final was the final I was most nervous about - I wasn't quite sure what to expect or what was expected of my essay.  Thankfully, the topics were not to crypt and I feel confident in the essays I wrote.  I was suppose to go to tea wish my professor (Marisa and a couple others did) but given the pain I was in I knew I needed medicine and was not all that hungry.  Plus I didn't want to slow anyone down.  I headed back to Pembridge and packed for a little.  It seemed so incredibly weird to be done finals and on summer break and it only being April 4th - so weird.  Wednesday night Rachel came over.
Beth and I wound up going to Charlie's on Portobello for some tea.  Our last TTOW (Tuesday Tea on Wednesdays).  I got all of my paperwork in order for my trip home.  When I got home I was greeted by Marisa, her Mom, her sister Mackenzie, and Mackenzie's (now finacee) John.  They had been touring the house and London.  It was great to see them again.
Laura, Rachel, Kyle, and I hung out for a time in the kitchen and Rachel and I tried to watch an episode of Dance Moms.

Thursday:  I woke bright and early Thursday morning - 7 am.  The best part was was I woke up by myself - figures, my first day of summer and I wake up super early.  I think I was just SOO excited about the Harry Potter studio tour.  I received some great news when I checked my e-mail Thursday morning - I was asked to be a member of SJU's History Honors Society - so I was very excited and honored about/by that.  After getting a shower and eating breakfast (still moving at a glacier pace because my body was still sore - I do not know how Katniss did it in the Hunger Games----) I hopped on the tube to Euston to grab the train.  Funny moment - I got on the wrong train.  There were two trains next to each other going to same place so I got confused for a moment and when I realized my mistake and walked to the door to get off the doors closed - straight out of a movie.  But I had paid for a rail ticket (which works on most rail systems) and I knew I'd be getting to the right location so I figured I figure it out when I got there.

To put the Harry Potter experience into words - not to sound corny - but they are none.  To be such a vast space and to know that everything you lay your eyes on was made for one project (the Harry Potter films) is incredible.  It is an eye opening experience and gives credit to all the professionals behind the scenes who often don't get enough of the credit they deserve - they are the true magic makers.  I have placed a link before that will take you to all my pictures - I hope.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3551517674297.160078.1463280054&type=3

If you are in London and have the opportunity - GO SEE IT!  You will NOT regret it.
And to think it all evolved out of one woman's imagination is amazing - she is a true inspiration.

I returned home and relaxed but had to keep my mouth shut because Marisa and Laura still have yet to go.  I sadly had to say goodbye to Kali and her sister Alisha - they are traveling with their parents and return home soon.  It was great getting to know them.  And Kali, Alisha, Laura, and I agreed that when we're back home we're all headed to Harry Potter World in Orlando :)
Laura and I went to McDonald's for dinner and watched a movie.  Kept in very chill.

Friday:  For my last day in London I went to visit Rachel at her flat (in Bloomsbury).  Her flat is a true flat (apartment living in London).  We decided to walk around a little bit and wound up going to tea at a cute place called Gail.
We spotted two ADORABLE 7 month olds - Casper and Valentina.  They were precious and it made me a little excited to go back to work at Cornerstone.  haha
I saw Rachel off to her weekend trip in Wales and met up with Laura, Audra, and other's two friends (Katie and Camille) at Piccadilly Circus.  We walked around for a little while before hopping on the central line (my last time :( ) and going to Selfridges for tea.  Tea hopping on my last day in London - ya know.
After tea Laura and I headed to church for Good Friday services.  It was nice to be able to take the time for reflection and prayer.  However, if there is one thing London RC Churches may want to improve on it is how the congregation assembles to go to the altar.  Instead of an orderly fashion where each pew goes up one at a time - it is a free for all.  Everyone gets up and makes a mad dash for the altar - the unfortunate souls that didn't beat the crowd fill in as they go up.  There is also no concept of every-other when going for communion, etc.  So veneration of the cross took an hour, the service was almost three hours.  At least communion went faster.
After church Laura and the girls went for Itsu while I got some dinner and ate at home.
The five of us watched Notting Hill.  How befitting.
I got to skype Mom, Dad, and Eddie for the last time - I'm really excited to see them.
After skyping Laura, Audra, Jake, Kyle, Katie, Camille went to Old Swan for one last pint!  Marisa met us there.  It is obvious it is my time to leave London because Old Swan was OUT of Stella......the end.

After the pub I came home and went to bed happy.

Saturday: This morning has been last minutes packing and saying goodbyes.  Leaving for the airport in about an hour.

I can't thank you all enough for your support.  Those of you that took the time to read this blog - that you ever so much.  I am happy I got to share my experiences in some a way and I hope you found a little joy and sense of what "Living London" was like.

Of course, I wrote a poem.  Though I AM at a loss for words, perhaps my experience can be summed up in this way.....


To the places I've stayed and the friends I've made
To the ciders we drank and the songs we sang
To the moments captured and the ones unseen
To the times where words failed
To the city of the underground rail
To the lessons, support and love...
"Thank you" will never seem enough
So let's raise our glasses in celebration
Never goodbye just a simple cheerio
This is not the end my friend...
We will see each other again.

leaving a part of my heart forever in London ♥





Hoppin' Over the Pond tonight :)

See in no time AMERICA! :)

Cheerio darlings,
MK

Tea with Rachel :)

Tea at Dolly's :)

One last cheers ! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment